1. To gain credibility with your audience in a business report, do all of the following EXCEPT
a. research all sides of your topic.
b. use credible sources to support your findings.
c. avoid setting unrealistic expectations.
d. allow your desires to determine the length of the report.
2. Which of the following will help a reader navigate a document more easily?
b. A formal tone
c. An introduction
d. A strong closing section
e. Headings and links
3. When you’re writing a report, be sure to adapt to your audience by
a. being sensitive to their needs.
b. controlling your style and tone.
c. building strong relationships with them.
d. all of the above.
4. Which of the following is one of the advantages of using headings in a report?
a. They identify the framework of a report
b. They eliminate relationships between subordinate and main ideas
c. They indicate the importance of preview sections
d. They eliminate the need for review sections
e. They minimize style and tone
5. Which of the following can be used to visually indicate shifts from one idea to the next?
e. Preview sections
6. When incorporating complex information into a report, how can you introduce new, important topics?
a. Avoid transitions to avoid confusion with previous material
b. Use third level headings
c. Add links to additional information
d. Include review sections
e. Include preview sections
7. Which of the following can be used to help readers absorb details of complex information while keeping track of the goal of the report?
a. Review sections
d. Preview sections
e. White space
8. In order to help your readers understand and accept your message
a. use headings and links.
b. include smooth transitions.
c. provide previews and reviews.
d. do all of the above.
9. When is a more formal tone appropriate for an internal audience?
a. When the report is short
b. When you have already established your credibility
c. When you are using online tools to send the message
d. When the topic is complex or controversial
e. When you do not use preview or review sections
10. Which of the following can create a message that is formal, businesslike, and unemotional?
a. Use colorful, descriptive language
b. Use humor when possible
c. Add similes to aid explanation
d. Avoid using a journalistic writing style
e. Eliminate words such as “you” and “I”